Orlando Business Journal is looking for a reporter who can marry
strong traditional journalism skills - source building, sharp news
judgment, interviewing prowess, strong analytical and investigative
reporting, clear writing, document use - with online and social
media know-how. Whatever the platform, this reporter will produce
content that is accompanied by perspective and context for our
influential and growing audience of business owners, executives and
professionals in Orlando and Central Florida.
Specifically, this reporter will cover the intersection of business
and government, where government involvement in business issues --
transportation, major civic construction projects, environmental
and other regulations, corporate relocations, etc. -- either helps
the business community grow or causes it pain.
A Business Journal reporter is expected to contribute both daily
online posts and long-form print stories to our news products.
Scoops matter. A lot.
• Report and write well on deadline
• Work independently
• Break news and to identify newsworthy events and sources.
• Strong analytical and investigative-interviewing skills
• Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people and to
develop sources and audience.
• Competitive, collaborative, curious
• Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and
• Able to leverage source relationships to deliver content that
differentiates the organization from competitors.
• Multimedia skills, including video, photos, broadcast, on-camera,
1-3 years of journalism experience
Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active
Knowledge of business and/or business community a plus.
Experience with using social media to source and promote content is
Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
To apply, email a cover letter, resume and clips that best show
enterprising and scoop reporting to Beth Hunt, Director of
Editorial Recruiting and Development at American City Business