Under the direction of President/CEO, directs, manages and coordinates patient care activities in accordance with the mission, values, vision, objectives and policies of the hospital. Has the authority and accountability for directing and coordinating matters related to clinical nursing practice, standards of patient care and quality improvement activities in order to provide safe customer-responsive and cost-effective patient care. This leadership position is accountable for establishing/maintaining strong professional relationships with the medical staff, the executive management team and the external nursing community. In addition, provides administrative guidance for strategic programs and development of assigned services within the department. Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree in nursing or healthcare administration preferred
- Current Illinois licensure as a registered professional nurse
- A minimum of 3 years of progressively responsible nursing management experience is required
- Demonstrated understanding of current regulations and trends in the healthcare field related to reimbursement, cost containment and the optimal utilization of resources required
- Proven ability to use research skills, strategic/business planning skills and quality improvement processes to develop implement and evaluate initiatives to improve the delivery of patient care required
- Demonstrated understanding of current theoretical approaches to the delivery of patient/nursing care and the strategies for evaluating and applying relevant concepts required
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and written communication skills required.
- Must be able to position and/or transfer an average adult patient and possess gross coordination sufficient to perform other patient care duties as required. Must be able to withstand prolonged periods of standing. Must be able to perform difficult manipulative skills such as IV insertion and IM injections.
- Environmental working conditions include exposure to blood, bodily fluids and tissue, contagious diseases and/or radioactive or other potentially hazardous materials.
- Develops, implements and coordinates the operations of the department that are consistent with the hospital's mission, goals and objectives.
- Develops policies, procedures, nursing standards of patient care and nursing standards of clinical practice in collaboration with President/CEO, Patient Care Services/MHS and the Decatur Memorial Hospital nursing management team, medical staff, executive team and other designated staff members.
- In collaboration with the Executive management team, participates in hospital leadership functions that addresses the hospital's mission, strategic plan, objectives, budget, resource allocations and operational policies and procedures.
- Develops and implements annual goals and objectives within the department and ensures progress towards their accomplishments.
- Defines and determines operational structures and processes for unit-specific patient care delivery based upon patient needs and outcomes.
- Assures that assigned areas of responsibility meet all accreditation and licensing standards.
- Assures the development of age-specific patient care programs, policies and procedures that describe how patients' nursing care needs are assessed, evaluated and met.
- Defines and ensures administrative direction and structure pertaining to programs, functions and activities for assigned areas of responsibility.
- Approves the department budget and allocations of funds for areas of responsibility and provides appropriate program and cost justification for additions or changes in resource needs.
- Actively participates on hospital multidisciplinary committees, and identifies and resolves issues related to these activities.
- Accountable for the implementation of an effective and ongoing program to monitor, evaluate and improve the quality of nursing care delivered to patients.
- Develops, implements and evaluates programs to promote the recruitment, retention, development, competency and continued education of nursing staff.
- Attends meetings and/or activities of professional, civic and service organizations as a representative of the hospital as requested by the President/CEO.
- Assures the development of strategic and business plans and services within assigned areas of responsibility.
- Develops and implements systems within the department to coordinate clinical and financial information, including staffing, scheduling, costs and variances.
- Fosters an environment that focuses on values, autonomy and accountability and encourages a participatory decision making process.
- Encourages and facilitates work climate conducive to open, honest communication and incorporates an effective feedback mechanism.
- Networks with nursing colleagues throughout Memorial Health System and actively participates in MHS-wide nursing functions in order to improve nursing practice and patient outcomes across the system.
- Demonstrates responsibility for own personal and professional growth.
- Identifies and is accountable for the resolution of problems as related to safety, sanitation and maintenance of the environment.
- Maintains operation that adheres to and supports applicable employment laws and regulations such as wage and hour, equal employment, sexual harassment and other such issues.
- Exercises due diligence in accuracy and completeness relative to third party payor activity; such as coding and billing, and assures the same in areas which are contracted to vendors (where applicable).
- Promotes an environment and holds staff accountable to provide a great patient experience.
- Actively participates in competency assessment process.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned.
Associated topics: administrative officer, assist, assistant, chief operations officer, operation, operational assistant, operational support, operations director, staff, support