The Huntington's Office of Communications and Marketing seeks an innovative, entrepreneurial, and team-oriented Media Relations Officer to conduct communications and outreach across a range of platforms, engaging wide and growing audiences. Under the supervision of the Assistant VP Communications and Marketing and in close collaboration with other members of the Communications team, the Media Relations Officer develops and implements strategic communications/media relations efforts for The Huntington in order to increase public awareness and understanding of The Huntington, its achievements, and its value to local, regional, national, and international communities, in addition to increasing audience diversity. The Media Relations Officer communicates effectively across various platforms with a variety of constituencies including members of the news media and social media audiences. The successful candidate will have demonstrated success in media relations as well as a track record of engaging audiences with diverse backgrounds, traditions, identities, and experiences. The Media Relations Officer collaborates closely with the full range of Huntington staff as well as colleagues at other institutions.
- Develops strategic communications and media-relations plans
- Writes press releases, specialized pitches, talking points, blog posts, social media posts, and other content
- Targets new and existing audiences, working closely with staff colleagues to position events and activities accurately and compellingly
- Proactively identifies and pitches news stories to reporters, editors, and other media representatives to local, regional, national, and international media
- Receives, assesses, and processes image/information/interview requests from the news media
- Strategically targets news outlets to receive press materials; builds press lists for release distribution
- Plans press previews and press visits to The Huntington
- Organizes and assists with news photo and video shoots
- Shoots photographs and video to accompany various web-based and social media content.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of the Spanish language and Spanish-language media outlets a plus
- Proven entrepreneurial track record, with the ability to innovate, anticipate, and act quickly
- Proven ability to effectively place and manage stories in the news media and build professional and strategic relationships with journalists
- Proven ability to write accurate and compelling press releases, social media posts, and other news and feature content
- Strong time-management skills, with the ability to write on deadline, in a fast-paced, quickly changing environment
- Ability to synthesize materials and communicate information effectively across print and digital platforms
- Photography and videography skills that result in compelling web-based and social content
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external contacts at all levels
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills in working with a variety of audiences, constituents
- Experience using Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience using Cision media tracking/research program desirable
Education and Experience
- Minimum of three years' experience in communications or media relations for cultural organizations, museums, universities, or comparable institutions.
- The required skills and abilities are usually acquired through the completion of a B.A. degree, preferably in English, Public Relations, Journalism, or Communications. Demonstrated ability and job experience may provide an appropriate substitute for preferred degree.