This 1.0 position for Assistant Coach of the Unified Basketball team is for the 2 season at Kamiak High School. Position is depending on whether or not we have a season this year, as well as length of season due to COVID 19, and possible challenges in return to play. Anticipated start date December 2020.
The successful candidate will assist the Head Coach with the Unified Basketball team after school and on weekends.
Stipends are contingent upon the Mukilteo School District approving extra-curricular activities during the 20-21 school year as well as length of season and number of teams offered.
Stipend listed is 2020-21 rates.
JOB TITLE: Assistant Coach
REPORTS TO: Building Athletic Director/Head Coach
The Assistant Coach is responsible for assisting the head coach in the growth and development of student athletes by focusing on fundamental skills instruction with an emphasis on whole child development to include expectations for academic and athletic excellence, leadership skills, and positive social relationships. The Assistant Coach will maintain open and honest communication with students, parents, coaches and administrators. The Assistant Coach is also a role model in personal management, appearance, ethics, behavior, and sportsmanship.
PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
* Provide age and skill-appropriate training and instruction and coaching to students for the purpose of developing student skills abilities attitudes, sportsmanship, teamwork, and self-esteem.
* Teach rules and safety and provide a variety of guidance, instruction and experiences to enhance students' personal, physical, social and emotional development.
* Promote student participation in all sports and the value of being a multi-sport athlete in a positive manner.
* Supervise student behavior, correct behavior and maintain discipline consistent with WIAA regulations and district/building policies and procedures.
* Assist in scheduling sport-related events including coaching meetings, practices and games; and logistics related to the sport including transportation and parent meetings.
* Ensure the safety and well-being of student athletes. Provide first aid to injured or ill students and/or refer to appropriate staff as applicable.
* Establish and maintain professional interactions with students, staff, parents and the general public.
* Strictly follow fiscal-related procedure/policies and utilize other resources effectively. Conduct fundraising activities as needed.
* Implement and comply with WIAA regulations and District and Building policies and procedures.
* Maintain consistent attendance and conform to regular work hours specified.
* Maintain current knowledge of sport techniques/issues, coaching certification and training requirements.
* Attend meetings, clinics and workshops.
* Fulfill other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job.
* Knowledge of the specific sport, its rules, required skills and abilities, coaching techniques, game strategy, and student development.
* Skill and ability to develop and instruct student athletes, and to apply effective game strategy.
* Skill and ability to motivate students, and to impart sportsmanship, teamwork, and self esteem.
* Skill and ability to effectively communicate with a variety of constituents.
* Skill and ability to develop teamwork and collaboration of various stakeholders.
* Ability to exercise discretion and maintain trust and confidentiality.
* Ability to exercise sound judgment.
* Ability to develop professional and positive relationships with others.
* Skill and ability to follow and give written and verbal instructions.
* Skills and abilities in organization, efficiency, time management, budgeting and record keeping.
* Skills and abilities of accuracy and attention to detail.
* Must be 19 years of age per WIAA regulations.
* High school diploma or its equivalent.
* Formal training in the specific sport as per WIAA requirements including current CPR/first aid card.
* Student cultural and economic diversity experience, preferred.
* Successful experience as a coach in the sport and at the specific age level.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Assistant Coach
1% - 33%
34% - 65%
66% - 100%
Field of Vision
Mukilteo School District does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employees have been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Civil Rights Coordinator and Title IX Coordinator Bruce Hobert ), , Section 504 Coordinator Lisa Pitsch ), , and the ADA/Access Coordinator Karen Mooseker ), . Address: 9401 Sharon Drive in Everett, WA. Inquiries regarding ADA/Access issues at Sno-Isle TECH Skills Center should be directed to Wes Allen, Director ) . Address: 9001 Airport Road in Everett, WA 98204.