The Manager, Release of Information is responsible for the daily oversight of centralized and off-site ROI staff and associated operations activities supporting timely and accurate fulfillment of records requests. The incumbent maintains positive and productive relationships with vendor partners, establishes and enforces productivity standards, and implements strategies supporting ROI under the corporate shared service model.
1. Directs activities of staff involved in the furnishing of patient medical information to authorized parties.
2. Ensures information is released in accordance with federal and state regulations and Health System administrative policy regarding release of information. Understands legal ramifications to the Health System if regulations are not met.
3. Serves as primary point of contact and collaborates with release of information vendor, ensuring services covered by contract are properly provided.
4. Assists Release of Information staff in determining validity of questionable or complex requests/authorizations.
5. Consults with Legal Office and Compliance as appropriate to situation for subpoena and release of information issues; participates in depositions as requested or required (subpoenaed).
6. Maintains subject matter expert level proficiency in current and legacy system EMRs. Provides technical assistance with systems as necessary to employees responsible for release of medical information.
7. Seeks updates from credible sources and familiarizes staff with current federal and state regulations affecting release of information policies/procedures.
8. Interacts with third party providers and their representatives to facilitate and prompt operational changes to aid in expediting response to request for medical information.
9. Interacts independently with Information Systems & Technology technical support staff and vendors. Troubleshooting issues, obtaining and implementing upgrades as needed.
10. Develops and implements initial and refresher training for staff in release of information guidelines and use of Epic and legacy EMRs.
11. Serves on standing committees as well as ad hoc work groups as appropriate.
12. Promotes and fosters a positive customer service relations environment in the workplace setting the example for staff members to interact successfully with co-workers and outside business contacts.
13. Completes all direct report staff performance evaluations and initiates corrective action as appropriate.
14. Initiates process improvement projects in response to subjective observation and quantitative productivity data.
15. Serves as a resource to other HIM Operations division staff in the absence of other leaders.
Bachelor's Degree in Health Information Management, Health Administration or related field highly preferred. RHIA or RHIT certification preferred. Work experience acceptable with the intent to obtain a Bachelor's Degree within two years.
Three (3) years' experience in Health Information Management, Health IT, or related health care or hospital-based operations activities. Three to five years' experience in a supervisory position, including training and direction to other staff members. Experience in release of medical information required. Experience in implementation/maintenance of computer systems and electronic health record systems required.