Under general supervision, assesses, plans, implements and evaluates the diabetes in-patient education program through FPI at UMMC and UMMC-MTC. Plans and conducts continuing education programs in diabetes for patients, staff, and community partners. Functions as a resource for patients and other healthcare professionals within and outside the Medical Center.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
* Graduation from an accredited dietician/nursing education program approved by the Board of Dietetic Practice/Board of Nursing or found by the respective Board to be substantially equivalent to the programs in Maryland. Current licensure as a Registered Dietician/Nurse in the state of Maryland is required.
* Must hold licensure as a dietitian or nurse in the state of Maryland, or eligible to practice as outlined through the Maryland Board of Dietetics/Nursing.
* Certification as a Diabetic Educator (CDE) is preferred; or must obtain CDE certification within one year of service.
* Knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's requirements relative to his or her age-specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in the unit/area/department policies and procedures.
* Highly effective verbal and written communication skills are necessary in order to educate patients and their families and work with medical, nursing and management staff.
* Demonstrated ability in public speaking preferred.