Under the direct supervision of the Mastercare Service Supervisor, the PAB 1 or PAB 2 is responsible for the care of a registered Mastercare DD client in the privacy of the client’s own home. Caregiver will visit the client’s home and perform quality, compassionate care within the scope of the client’s Individual Service Plan (ISP). The Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (DD) clients are serviced through Medicaid insurance under a program called PAB Waiver service. PAB=Personal Assistant Habilitation.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- One (1) year experience in: Hospital, LTC facility or home care within the last two (2) years
- Must complete Mastercare’s pre-employment and new hire process
- Pass a physical examination after being offered employment and health assessment annually thereafter
- Must be able to read, write and speak English. (Some employees may be hired to care for another Nationality will be required to read, write and speak for the Nationality for which they are hired i.e. Japanese Clients)
- Must be able to follow direction and accurately report to the Field Supervisor an changes in the clients condition
- Must be able to display a caring attitude toward clients and their medical needs
- Must have available, reliable transportation to and from assignments
- Must be physically able to perform the duties of the position, including lifting unspecified weights depending on the assignment requirements, bending, stooping, sitting, standing, associated with a normal home care client
- Must maintain current credentials, including CPR, First Aid, TB Test, Physical, Fingerprinting, In-services (if applicable)
Levels of Care:
All workers are referred as Direct Service Workers (DSW), but will break down to different skill levels according to which client they are servicing. The following job description is a generalization of duties that fall under each level.
PAB 1 Skill Level: Non-Medical duties include, but are not limited to:
- Community access - assists and escorts to recreational events & outings. Participates in activities and functions as directed
- Assists in grocery shopping as needed
- Exercising – walking or escort to the gym
- Light housekeeping including but not limited to, dusting and vacuuming, changing linens/bed-making, cleaning the kitchen and bathroom, and laundry of client only
- Provides companionship and emotional support
- Money management
- Organizational skills
- Social skills
- Activities of daily living tasks - dressing, grooming, bathing, toileting (diaper change), etc.
- Driving clients such as, pick up from day programs, taking them to community events/activities, etc.
- Assists and escorts to and from appointments / errands
Service supervisor will review plan of care with DSW to specifically follow what the state case manager devised through an ISP prior to start of case.
PAB 2 Skill Level: Medical/Behavioral duties include but are not limited to:
- Nurse aid duties such as, wound delegation, tube feeding, seizure protocol, bed bath, transferring - hoyer lift experience
- ADL tasks – bathing, grooming, toileting (diapering), dressing
- Takes client’s vital signs and recording input and output
- Check for skin redness/rash
- Delegated nursing tasks.
- Behavior clients, DSW will be trained to follow a behavior support plan (developed by a state behavior specialist)