The Sr. Automation Technician will provide technical support to Utilities, Laboratories and Production Areas in the Automation and Control System Applications used in the manufacture of sterile injectable. With general supervision lead or troubleshoot PLC's, batch applications, instrumentation, human machine interfaces, control systems, and process network applications used in utilities, laboratories, manufacturing and packaging equipment. Provide technical guidance and assistance to the troubleshooting, operation and maintenance of control systems including hardware and software. Backing-up their Supervisor in the assignment and review of the automation workload.ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES Troubleshooting:
- Lead and perform the tasks that require the efforts of more than one technician within the Automation team.
- Execute factory acceptances, software upgrades, backups, restore, disaster recovery and archiving procedures, as needed.
- Reads and interprets ladder logic programming, blueprints, schematics and specifications, and utilizes them to troubleshoot and determine causes of equipment malfunction. Maintains liaison with outside firms for out-of-plant equipment/system repair.
Training and other duties:
- Leads and reviews external contractor's services in order to assure that services are provided as required.
- Communicates regularly with Automation Supervisor for work priorities, assignments, and findings.
- Assists the Automation and Control Systems, and Engineering & Maintenance areas in the development of specifications, selection, FAT, installation, commissioning and computerized system validation process of new utilities, laboratory and manufacturing equipment procurement, as well as to improve existing applications.
- Performs operation and design analysis of plant utilities, laboratories, and/or manufacturing equipment and systems to improve their operation. May provide technical advice to other, when necessary.
- Assists the Maintenance team with commissioning, calibration and adjustment of complex measurement instrumentation.
- Replaces, repairs, troubleshoots, or cleans automation systems.
- Modifies PLC, HMI, SCADA hardware and configures software in system to maintain interface between automation and operations as needed.
- Support reliability engineering for production and support equipment
- Provide on the floor operational support as needed
- Support all investigations and audits as needed
- Maintain Industrial level network, control level networks and Process I/O network.
- System Administration for adding and disabling user access to Site Automation system
- Responsible for assuring various user levels have appropriate, documented training and authorization for access to engineering managed computer systems
- Participates in internal and external trainings, either as a trainee or as an instructor, when required.
- Develops and/or reviews master documents, automation procedures and other related engineering and maintenance documents, when required.
- Keeps the troubleshooting tools (i.e. laptops, standards, and cables) in good working conditions and safeguard.
- Learns and follows established Safety policies and guidelines at all time.
- Assures that all individuals performing tasks and/or projects along with him/her always follow the established Safety policies and guidelines.
- Responsible for housekeeping and safe work in all areas.
- Learns and follows established cGMP's and SOP's applicable to the area of responsibility at all time. Assures that all individuals performing tasks and/or projects along with him/her always follow the established cGMP's and SOP's applicable.
Experience & Skills:
- Associate degree in related field with 5 years of experience equivalent to a pharmaceutical control system application, instrumentation, or systems/equipment technician is required OR Bachelor Degree in related field with 2 years of experience equivalent to a pharmaceutical control system application, instrumentation, or systems/equipment technician is required.
- English proficiency
- Computer Literate
- Strong knowledge of cGMP, FDA, and other countries regulatory agencies.
- Knowledge in Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (e.g. preventative maintenance, work orders).
- Must be able to use tools and equipment including electronic testers, oscilloscopes, programmers and meters to test instruments, equipment and electronic controls.
- Experience with PLC's based systems, SCADA and network applications. Must have sufficient knowledge of instrumentation and control system to troubleshoot malfunctions.
- Able to understand and work with computerized maintenance management systems such as: spare parts, preventive maintenance, and work orders.
- Strong electrical controls troubleshooting experience.
- Technical knowledge of utilities equipment (i.e. HVAC equipment, AHU's, VAV's, boilers, chillers etc.) and production equipment (aseptic filling machine, autoclave, freeze dryers, packaging lines, etc.)
- Must have excellent blueprint and electrical, controls, schematic/ladder logic comprehension skills.
- The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to safely perform the job without posing a direct threat to the safety of his or her own self, or the safety of others.
- Ideal candidate must have process automation experience with integrated manufacturing systems and ancillary equipment.
- Familiarity with industrial communication networks.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- To perform all the duties required in this job description, persons must be in good physical condition and able to work on ladders in less than desirable areas (i.e. mechanical rooms).
- Ability to work in a gown room conditions
- Light to moderate lifting may be required for some duties. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Proper PPE and safe practices must be observed.
- Requires continuous physical activity for repair, adjustment and troubleshooting of equipment/systems.
- Some areas present exposure to heat, steam and liquids.
- Satisfactory performance and attendance is required.
Regular Work Schedule:
- Night shift. 12 hour schedule. Overtime work may be required. Work requires on-site presence. Occasional national/international travel for equipment factory acceptance testing, training seminars, vendor meetings, work progress meetings, etc.
Non-Regular Work Schedule:
EEO & Employment Eligibility
- At different times of the year, this position will work long hours for scheduled manufacturing shutdown periods and throughout the year may be required to work late with little notice as need arises when equipment is unexpectedly down.
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer. Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. RELOCATION WILL BE PROVIDED
Pfizer is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction in which it operates.