Engineering at Postmates
We're building groundbreaking tech solutions that power our revolutionary logistics platform to help connect millions of customers with their favorite merchants every day. We're tackling some of the most complex technical challenges in the modern logistics space to unlock opportunities that positively impact the local businesses and communities we serve.
WHAT WE DO
Postmates relies heavily on our engineering team to realize this vision. Building a software platform that is reliable, scales, and stays agile under demanding product needs is a serious technical challenge. Postmates is a three-part balancing act connecting customers, merchants, and couriers in real-time. If any piece is out of whack, the whole system suffers. Working with the Postmates engineering team offers an opportunity with explosive growth, cutting-edge technology, a highly visible charter, and a cool user-focused product vision.
Postmates runs one of the largest real-time delivery fleets in the country and collects a tremendous amount of data about those deliveries. And we view that data to be core to our product roadmap and business processes.
This team includes Data Engineers and Data Infrastructure Engineers . We're looking for engineers with a proven track record of shipping high-impact data systems. We care much more that you understand how to build simple, clear, and reliable tools than you have experience with any given toolset or pattern. We love learning, and we expect that you will learn new things and teach us new things as we build out the Postmates data infrastructure. The systems built in this team will have a critical impact on all our data pipelines by helping transition all Postmates services to an event-driven model, and helping build data-driven products that match our millions of customers to couriers in near real-time.
- Design, build and operate large scale data infrastructure systems across all environments to store, aggregate and process large amounts of data
- Implement various ETL infrastructures and guidelines on how to most effectively build and maintain them for reporting, analytics and product features
- Write maintainable and self-documenting code, perform code reviews
- Build a data platform-as-a-service for internal consumers, operating on open-source technologies on AWS and GCP
- Serve in the on-call rotation to make sure our data infrastructure is highly available to all internal customers
- Support our Applied Machine Learning team
A bit about us
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience) required
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience
- Experience building on, deploying, and maintaining open-source data infrastructure systems (HDFS, Kafka, Spark, ZooKeeper, Druid, etc.) in production environments
- Experience with various types of data sources including relational stores such as MySQL, PostgresSQL and NoSQL data stores such as Cassandra or MongoDB and in-memory stores like Redis or Memcache
- Understanding of distributed systems and principles (consistency, durability, resilience, consensus)
- Experience working with cloud-native infrastructure on the public cloud (we operate on GCP and AWS)
- Ability to declare and work with infrastructure-as-code (all our infrastructure is defined in Terraform or Deployment manager)
- Ability to write clean and maintainable code (our codebases are in Python, Go, Erlang, and Java)
Postmates is changing delivery for good. While you may know us as the clever brand loved by celebrities and millennials, we are so much more. We are industry-first leaders in the modern logistics space, creating groundbreaking tech products that positively impact millions of customers, merchants and gig-economy workers as well as the underserved in the communities where we work. How will you help us change delivery for good? Benefits
Postmates has your back. In our impact-first work environment, we value huge company vision. As you strive to build the future with us, we'll support you with a competitive rates and equity plan, along with access to our 401k plan and robust benefits including: health benefits, flexible paid time off, parental benefits, and food perks. Postmates is proud to be an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants at Postmates are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.