What will you do all day?
At NMSI, our people mean everything to us; they are the lifeblood of the organization. NMSI is looking f or a Development Director to drive forward development plans that support the multi-region growth plans of NMSI's programs. You will support the Chief Development Officer in implementing short- and long- range strategies to fund NMSI's strategic plans and priorities. What are the details?
The Director reports to the Chief Development Officer and will be responsible for i dentifying funding opportunities - private philanthropy, corporate partners and high net worth individual s - to support NMSI's core programs . You will develop, champion and implement a regional development plan for a designated region in the United States . You will lead a sophisticated fundraising endeavor to achieve the short- and long-term fundraising vision and direction for the region.
Specific responsibilities include :
What are we looking for?
- Establish and track your progress to goals, implementing strong operational systems that allow for efficient and effective execution to achieve all metrics.
- Develop and support fundraising strategies for the principal gifts program for a given region, working closely with the CDO.
- Maintain a top tier of prospects and donors, developing and implementing strategy for prospects with giving ability of principal gifts -- six and seven figures.
- Establish and meet mutually agreed upon annual goals for moving donors through development cycle, including visits, dollars solicited, and dollars raised.
- Plan and support regional cultivation and stewardship events to support development activities and NMSI priorities.
- Identify new prospective principal gift donors and develop long range plans for their engagement
- Maintain pipelines for fundraising and volunteer leadership.
- Identify and build relationships with new and prospective donors; maintain long-term relationships with existing donors.
- Manage systems and software to track and cultivate donors and prospects, while employing donor database and wealth screening tools
- Make direct, face-to-face solicitations and prepare proposals for written solicitations.
- Manage a portfolio of 80 to 150 entities including donors and prospects with the capacity to give six and seven figure gifts. Responsible for achieving a set of assigned metrics to be determined based on assigned geographic area.
- Ensure compliance with NMSI policies and procedures and external (donor/legal/IRS) requirements; Demonstrate sensitivity in handling confidential information.
- May manage or participate in complex or sensitive negotiation s.
- Create and implement moves management plan that supports donor development related to the donor life cycle, resulting in renewing, upgrading retaining donors.
- Make direct, face-to-face solicitations, and assist the board and other staff with their solicitation (e.g. provide portfolio development support, strategic counsel, and help with donor communications)
- Collaborate with other colleagues and CDO to align efforts and set goals
- Track and report progress using specific metrics
- Other duties as assigned
Want to learn more?
- Who you are : You are a bright, imaginative and capable fundraiser with a passion for reaching ambitious goals.
- Education & Experience . You have a bachelor's degree with at least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in major principal gift fundraising and demonstrated success in cultivating, soliciting and closing six and seven figures.
- Communication . You have strong verbal communication skills and the ability to persuasively convey the mission of NMSI to diverse groups of donors and prospects. You also have strong written communication skills and the ability to write compelling and succinct proposals for individual donors and private foundations.
- Industry Expert . You possess strong fundraising knowledge and you have experience interacting with CEO level contacts .
- Analytical and Strategic Thinker . You have an analytical approach with a strong ability to think creatively . You think analytically, prioritize tasks and develop processes that monitor progress and performance. You rely on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Connected. You're hyper-aware of philanthropic trends in STEM and education spaces. You have strong relationships with charitable leaders.
- Entrepreneurial. You have an entrepreneurial inclination and the capacity for success within an intensely goal-oriented and collaborative environment.
- Relationship Builder. You have the ability to lead independently, yet interact collaboratively with colleagues, participating in and contributing to total team effort. You have the ability to serve as team player and a strong individual contributor.
- Organized & Productive . You possess strong organizational skills while working in a fast-paced environment. You can work on multiple projects with multiple deadlines.
- Inclusive . You can work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion or job type-or any other factor that makes us unique!
The National Math and Science Initiative
is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to transforming math and science education in today's classrooms and ensuring that all students have the knowledge and skills to thrive in the global economy of the 21 st century. Founded in 2007, NMSI began by dramatically improving student participation and success in rigorous Advanced Placement math, science and English courses in 85 courses across seven states. Today, NMSI has scaled its proven program to serve more than 1.5 million students, 50,000 teachers, 1,000 high schools and 45 universities across 40 states, and is having a demonstrable and lasting impact on student outcomes. NMSI Next
, our five-year strategic plan, deepens our commitment to transform our current programs. In doing so, we will also launch a bold approach to partnering with school systems that drive outcomes not only at the student and school system levels but also at the regional and national levels. NMSI Next is anchored on the concept that the whole will be greater than the sum of the parts and that our teamwork and program work go hand in hand. Additionally, we believe that our impact on the school system, regional, and national levels will reinforce itself to ensure population-level outcomes. We believe STEM education is the greatest lever to accessing opportunity and is unmatched in unlocking student potential.
Specifically, NMSI Next will implement the following strategic levers so that all students, especially those furthest from opportunity, thrive and reach their highest potential as problem solvers and lifelong learners, pursue their passions and tackle the world's toughest challenges.
The organization has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. National Math + Science Initiative (NMSI) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. NMSI complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which we have employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
- Catalyze bold thinking and enduring solutions for all students nationally
- Collaborate with regional stakeholders to drive sustainable changes
- Provide school systems a world-class K-12 solution set
- Build a strong, sustainable, and nimble organization positioning us to deliver exponential impact