The VP of Medical Affairs will be instrumental in expanding and solidifying the medical affairs function at Allakos. This person should be a "leader/ doer" that is responsible for generating strategies, leading cross functional planning, implementing activities and ensuring processes are in place for launch preparation. This role includes oversight of a field Medical Affairs team. This is a key role that will report directly to the Chief Medical Officer and be based in Redwood City, CA.
This role will work closely with clinical development, regulatory affairs, and commercial to understand and shape current medical practice in the diseases of interest and what is needed to address the unmet needs from the clinical and health economics perspective. The position will also work closely with the corporate C suite in developing and shaping medical and commercial strategies.
Leading the Medical Affairs function at Allakos:_____
· Will develop and implement key medical affairs strategies and activities to support the late stage development of our lead assets.
· Develop and present operational plans to management
· Represent company externally
· Direct and oversee all aspects of medical affairs and pre-launch needs
Run and continue to build the Medical Affairs Function
· In collaboration with the Senior leadership develop medical affairs vision, mission and department plan in alignment with related functions that will interface with the department (Clinical, Communications, Commercial)
· Work closely with clinical team, medical directors and clinical scientists
· Collaborate on publication activities ensuring compliance with Good Publication Practices (GPP) and all applicable regulations.
· Direct and expand the various medical affairs deliverables, including medical communications, conferences, KOL outreach, advisory boards, etc.
· Contribute to the organization as a subject matter expert and team member for program leadership, in commercial partnerships and as part of business development teams.
· Identify data/ resource gaps and needs, perform project risk analysis, and implement solutions.
Senior Leadership Responsibilities
· Launch preparedness
· External facing leadership with KOLs
· Senior Leadership for strategic input
· Substantial experience in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry, predominantly in medical affairs
· Additional experience in clinical development and/or regulatory affairs and additional plus
· Track record of setting and achieving goals (preferably within medical affairs function)
· Must have a medical background (MD).
· Experience with building medical affairs infrastructure, managing direct reports, building teams and leveraging relationships with clinical
· Must have cross-functional management leadership experience
· Experience with prelaunch and diseases in immunology desired
· Line management experience, particularly with mentoring and developing field personnel
· Must like a dynamic, small, growth company environment
The salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Allakos is an equal opportunity employer. Allakos will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.